"My family insists on this cake for our Christmas dinner. They refer it to as 'the best cake in the world.' The flavors are simply wonderful." – Susan Bazan, Sequim, Washington
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-3/4 cups sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coffee liqueur
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) white baking chips
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, eggs, liqueur and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips. Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt the white baking chips, butter and remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in coffee granules and extract. Cool to room temperature.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cream; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir into chocolate mixture. In a large bowl, beat the remaining 1-1/4 cups cream until soft peaks form. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture; beat until stiff peaks form.
- For whipped cream, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; top with half of the chocolate mixture. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Susan's Favorite Mocha Cake in Taste of Home December/January 2011, p97
Reviews for Susan's Favorite Mocha Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review