Susan's Favorite Mocha Cake Recipe
"My family insists on this cake for our Christmas dinner. They refer it to as 'the best cake in the world.' The flavors are simply wonderful." – Susan Bazan, Sequim, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-3/4 cups sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coffee liqueur
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) white baking chips
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, eggs, liqueur and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips. Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a microwave, melt the white baking chips, butter and remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in coffee granules and extract. Cool to room temperature.
- 4. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cream; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir into chocolate mixture. In a large bowl, beat the remaining 1-1/4 cups cream until soft peaks form. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 5. For whipped cream, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 6. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; top with half of the chocolate mixture. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 687 calories, 46 g fat (26 g saturated fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 302 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC