Surprise Sausage Bundles Recipe
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Sausage or Polish sausage, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Poppy seeds
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the sauerkraut, sausage, brown sugar, garlic salt, caraway and pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add bacon. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine contents of the roll mix and its yeast packet. Stir in one egg, water and butter to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover dough with a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces. On a floured surface, roll out each piece into a 4-in. circle. Top each with 1/4 cup filling. Fold dough around filling, forming a ball; pinch edges to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap that has been coated with cooking spray. Let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over bundles. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 16-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Surprise Sausage Bundles
Sort By :
Every year for New Year's Day I always make sauerkraut for my family but this year I wanted to try a new recipe using sauerkraut so I tried this. It was a big hit and very Delicious!! The only thing I did different was make homemade rye rolls instead of buying a packet. I will be making these again and not just for New Year's Day!
These were so good, and heated up so nicely in the microwave. I'm making them again tonight with leftover kielbasa sauerkraut casserole, and I'm also going to stuff some rolls with leftover meatballs.
These were very good but I think next time I will reduce the brown sugar. They turned out a bit too sweet.
These freeze well. They really taste good!
this is the only way my kids will eat sausage and sauerkraut. I like them even better cold the next day. I found this recipe a few years ago and have made it a couple times per year every since!