Surprise Red Cupcakes Recipe
Catch your honey red-handed this Valentine's Day with a batch of Betty Claycomb's confections. “Our family loves these filled cupcakes,” she adds from Alverton, Pennsylvania. “They disappear in a day.”
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup shortening, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup plus 1 to 3 teaspoons evaporated milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Combine the cocoa, baking soda and remaining flour; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick insert near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat butter and remaining shortening until smooth. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, cooled sugar mixture and remaining vanilla until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Insert a large round tip into a pastry or plastic bag; fill with filling. Insert the tip halfway into the center of each cupcake and fill with a small amount of filling.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, melt chips with 1/3 cup evaporated milk over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Add enough remaining milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Surprise Red Cupcakes in Country Woman January/February 2007, p34
Reviews for Surprise Red Cupcakes(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 23, 2013
These cupcakes were amazing, a huge hit at the party I made them for, people were saying best cupcakes they ever had!
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Cupcake Frosting >
- Cupcake Frosting Recipes >
- Cupcake Recipes >
- Cupcakes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >