Surprise Raspberry Jam
Family and friends will never guess the secret ingredient in this jam-tomatoes! "I got the recipe from a co-worker, and it is just delicious," jots Elizabeth Baker of Birdsboro, Pennsylvania.
44 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. + standing
- 5 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) raspberry gelatin
- Rinse three clean 1-pint plastic containers with lids with boiling
- water. Dry thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, sugar and lemon juice. Cook
- and stir over high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Skim off foam if
- necessary. Add gelatin; stir until completely dissolved.
- Immediately fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Cool to
- room temperature, about 1 hour. Wipe off top edges of containers;
- cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 3 hours or until set,
- but not longer than 24 hours.
- Jam is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 12
- months. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about
- 5-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 82 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.