Surprise Raspberry Jam
I've made this jam for many years and no one has been able to guess the secret ingredient —tomatoes! Everyone swears it tastes just like fresh raspberry jam! —Elizabeth Baker, Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
44 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. + standing
- 5 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) raspberry gelatin
- Rinse three clean 1-pint plastic containers with lids with boiling
- water. Dry thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, sugar and lemon juice. Cook
- and stir over high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Skim off foam if
- necessary. Add gelatin; stir until completely dissolved.
- Immediately fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Cool to
- room temperature, about 1 hour. Wipe off top edges of containers;
- cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 3 hours or until set,
- but not longer than 24 hours.
- Jam is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 12
- months. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about
- 5-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 82 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.