- 5 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) raspberry gelatin
- Rinse three clean 1-pint plastic containers with lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, sugar and lemon juice. Cook and stir over high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Skim off foam if necessary. Add gelatin; stir until completely dissolved.
- Immediately fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Wipe off top edges of containers; cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 3 hours or until set, but not longer than 24 hours.
- Jam is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 12 months. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about 5-1/2 cups.
Reviews for Surprise Raspberry Jam
"I still can't believe how good this is! Nobody would ever guess that tomatoes are the main ingredient. It tastes and looks wonderful and couldn't be easier to make."
"There's always that much sugar in jam. It's what preserves the fruit. You could probably try no sugar jello."
"Can this be canned like regular jam? (not put in freezer)"
"My son who doesn't like tomatoes never suspected a thing and said it was his favorite jam so far that I've made. I'm making it again this year!!"
"Could someone let me know if you use green or ripe tomatoes, of doesn't it matter. Have been wanting to try this but don't want to waste the ingred. email@example.com Thanks"
"I have made this twice this year and no one guessed that it is tomatoes! Very tasty and pretty red color."
"Sounds like a lot of sugar. Wondering if you could use less and still be a success? Could you use no sugar jello?"
"I make this often and love to give it away with a loaf of freshly baked homemade bread!!"
"My grandmother used to make this and it was always delicious. She always cooked the tomatoes down so there were no big chunks so you wouldn't get the taste of the tomato."
"I had been given a bag of ripe tomatoes I needed to use quickly and found this recipe. I was shocked at the flavor. It had a slight hint of tomato when you bite into a chunk but was still unexpectedly good. Will have to take some to my vegan coworker"