I've made this jam for many years and no one has been able to guess the secret ingredient —tomatoes! Everyone swears it tastes just like fresh raspberry jam! —Elizabeth Baker, Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
- 5 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) raspberry gelatin
- Rinse three clean 1-pint plastic containers with lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, sugar and lemon juice. Cook and stir over high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Skim off foam if necessary. Add gelatin; stir until completely dissolved.
- Immediately fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Wipe off top edges of containers; cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 3 hours or until set, but not longer than 24 hours.
- Jam is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 12 months. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before serving. Yield: about 5-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Surprise Raspberry Jam in Country Woman July/August 2003, p40
Reviews for Surprise Raspberry Jam
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review