Surprise Pumpkin Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. In small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended.
- 2. For filling, another small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add egg; beat on low just until combined.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups one-third full. Drop filling by tablespoonfuls into center of each cupcake. Cover with remaining batter.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the pumpkin portion comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 250 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Surprise Pumpkin Cupcakes
"These were terrific!!! I took them to work and sent some into work with my husband, too. Everyone LOVED them :)"
"These were phenomenal! I read the recipe wrong and ended up with 12 cupcakes and a bunch of batter... which I then put in a loaf pan and swirled the filling over the top. It all turned out great and I will make these all winter long! Thanks for the recipe!"
"Made these in November for church Turkey dinner. Everyone asked who made them!! Just made them again last night and son and daughter in law asked to eat several even though we just got home from a restaurant. Husband loves them too! My only problem is that I have enough batter for 26 cupcakes filled to the top but only enough filling for 24. Guess who gets to eat the plain ones!!"
"The cupcakes were super moist. Next time I'll try the pumpkin pie spice instead of just cinnamon for a different twist. I took them to my work Christmas party...but we've been enjoying the leftovers in the office for breakfast!! I agree you should use generous dollops of the cream cheese in the middle - and my tops were extra sugared.....on purpose. :) YUM!"
"These are the BEST! Quick and easy - made them four times already! Family loves them! Don't soften the cream cheese too much - the filling is better when it's about the consistency of cookie batter."
"Very tasty. Cup cakes also freeze very well."
"Made this recipe doing mini cupcakes for an Open House at our local hospital and some regular size for family and friends....all were a big hit. The minis I made with a cream cheese frosting and sprinkled top with Cinnamon sugar.....the regular size I just sprinkled with cinnamon sugar (Stevia sugar for low cal). All were fantastic!Make certain you put in just add a little batter in base for cupcake, then add a good dopple of cream cheese fluff mixture, topping off with more cake batter to fill 3/4 of cupcake. Remember if you do minis to adjust time."
"These cupcakes were the bomb! Made double recipe making half as cupcakes the other half like a 13x9 cake, layering it like the cupcakes. They both turned out soooo moist and delicious, the double batch didn't last long!"
"These were simple to make and very tasty! Will definitely make them again!!"
"Mine aren't really a surprise as most of the cream cheese is on top then inside, but they are still tasty."
"These were SO yummy! I even baked them in my extra-large muffin cups (took a bit longer to bake) but they were even better than the small ones because they had more filling! I used pumpkin pie spice instead of just cinnamon."
"Turned out great. Easy to make. Be generous with the white filling."
"Very moist. Baked it for a church function....went fast. Added mini chocolate chips."
"I made these for a coworker's birthday, and by the end of the day there were only three left. Everyone loved them and complimented me on them. A must try!"
"<p>These were pretty tasty. We all wished they had more filling though. I also added nutmeg and ginger and they turned out great! I will definitely make these again.</p>"
"I thought this recipe turned out really good! The cupcake was moist, the filling was a little more of a custardy texture, but otherwise it was good. Flavor was fantastic."