Surprise Package Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 65 mint Andes candies
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- With floured hands, shape a tablespoonful of dough around 42 candies, forming rectangular cookies. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a microwave or saucepan, melt the remaining candies; drizzle over cookies. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Surprise Package Cookies(13)
Sort By :
These cookies have become a family favorite at Christmas!
Love these little gems. I also cut mints in half for bite size and one time at Christmas had to omit the drizzle as I didn't have enough mints. I just topped them with a few green sugar sprinkles. Actually more of a surprise this way since there was no drizzle (and mint aroma) to provide a clue. wonderful flavor but time consuming as others have noted.
LOVE this recipe!!! It does require some time but it is defiantly worth it.
This is a favorite cookie!! I do make them smaller though by cutting the mints in half.
I made these years ago when they were first featured in TOH magazine. They take a little time since you actually form the cookies each by hand, but the results are worth the effort. I have made them many times since, great xmas cookie and something different for those looking for cookie exchange ideas. Easy to make and lots of flavor...perfect for those that love chocolate and mint around holiday time.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >