- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 65 mint Andes candies
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- With floured hands, shape a tablespoonful of dough around 42 candies, forming rectangular cookies. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a microwave or saucepan, melt the remaining candies; drizzle over cookies. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Surprise Package Cookies
Sort By :
"I baked these cookies today for a Cookie Swap at our church and they are fantastic! I love the shortbread taste of the cookie and the mint inside is wonderful. These are going into my cookie file for future use."
"These cookies have become a family favorite at Christmas!"
"Love these little gems. I also cut mints in half for bite size and one time at Christmas had to omit the drizzle as I didn't have enough mints. I just topped them with a few green sugar sprinkles. Actually more of a surprise this way since there was no drizzle (and mint aroma) to provide a clue. wonderful flavor but time consuming as others have noted."
"LOVE this recipe!!! It does require some time but it is defiantly worth it."
"This is a favorite cookie!! I do make them smaller though by cutting the mints in half."