- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 65 mint Andes candies
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- With floured hands, shape a tablespoonful of dough around 42 candies, forming rectangular cookies. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a microwave or saucepan, melt the remaining candies; drizzle over cookies. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Surprise Package Cookies
Sort By :
"Takes a lot of work to make these cookies, but they are worth it. Wonderful, holiday flavor. I broke the mints in half, but that created too small a cookie- pretty much bite size- and they were crunchy instead of softer. So, I used the shaped Andes mints and broke those in half and they were the perfect size.I did not need to put the dough in the fridge."
"I baked these cookies today for a Cookie Swap at our church and they are fantastic! I love the shortbread taste of the cookie and the mint inside is wonderful. These are going into my cookie file for future use."
"These cookies have become a family favorite at Christmas!"
"Love these little gems. I also cut mints in half for bite size and one time at Christmas had to omit the drizzle as I didn't have enough mints. I just topped them with a few green sugar sprinkles. Actually more of a surprise this way since there was no drizzle (and mint aroma) to provide a clue. wonderful flavor but time consuming as others have noted."
"LOVE this recipe!!! It does require some time but it is defiantly worth it."