- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tubes (12 ounces each) refrigerated flaky buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 20 cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat brown sugar and butter on high for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- Flatten each biscuit into a 3-in. circle. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon in the center of each biscuit. Top with a cream cheese cube. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal tightly.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup walnuts into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the biscuits, cinnamon-sugar and butter mixture and 1/2 cup walnuts. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf (12 servings).
Reviews for Surprise Monkey Bread
"My whole family loved this bread. It was so hard to walk away from it!"
"My hubby and daughter both said these were delicious! I made homemade biscuits, but otherwise made as directed. Thanks for sharing!"
"Everybody loved this one. Want it again soon!"
"I have been making this for ages. Came from one of Paula Deen's cookbooks and was called Gorilla Bread (according to Paula it kicks monkey bread's butt.)"
"I made this for my husband coffee group. The men didn't leave me a crumb. One of the guys said this is the best recipe yet. I always made them "monkey bread""
"Made this for a family brunch, and everyone all 25 family members loved it."
"Delicious and easy! I made this Saturday night and refrigerated it overnight until I baked it Sunday morning, and it turned out great. But remember (as I did NOT) that if your cake pan has a dark interior finish, set your oven 25 degrees cooler."
"My friend and I made this tiday and it was sooo good. The only thing we didn't put in it was the walnuts. Very easy to make."