These crisp, delicate cookies are light as a feather. Mini chocolate chips and chopped nuts are a delightful and yummy surprise in every bite. Mom knows this fun dessert is a fitting finale to a big meal.
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min./batch + cooling
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand for 30 minutes. Add the
- vanilla, cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft
- peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on
- high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6
- minutes. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined
- baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until firm to
- the touch. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 35 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.