- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand for 30 minutes. Add the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Surprise Meringues
"These are a favorite at our house! Sometimes I sub creme de menthe extract for the vanilla!"
"I made these cookies and they came out perfect! This recipe is par excellence! I took some to our facility hair salon today and the Surprise Meringues were well received! They're SO SIMPLE to make, too! delowenstein"
"These were melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Note: It really makes about 70 cookies if you use tsp. to scoop them out. Was a bit of a problem for me to fit all 3 pans in my oven. The lower rack did not cook at the same rate and had to throw those out."
"We love these"
"this was made by a co worker ..excellent"