Meet the Cook: I still remember the first time I served these colorful kabobs - my family was thrilled to find a surprise in the tasty meatballs. Since I make them often, I sometimes substitute different vegetables or cheeses for variety. -Kristen Wondra, Hudson, Kansas
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 block (1-1/2 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 12 cubes
- 12 small mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow or red pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- In a saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until onion is tender and sauce is slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Divide into 12 portions. Place a cube of cheese in each mushroom cap; shape each meat portions round a mushroom.
- On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternate meatballs, peppers and onion wedges. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
- Grill 10-12 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear, turning occasionally. Brush with reserved glaze during the last 2 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Surprise Meatball Skewers in Country Woman September/October 1999, p29
Reviews for Surprise Meatball Skewers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 3, 2014
"I made these last night and we liked the meatballs, but not the glaze. Loved the idea of putting cheese in the middle and think next time I make spaghetti and meatballs will do just what you have done here with a square of mozzarella cheese."