- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 block (1-1/2 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 12 cubes
- 12 small mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow or red pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- In a saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until onion is tender and sauce is slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Divide into 12 portions. Place a cube of cheese in each mushroom cap; shape each meat portions round a mushroom.
- On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternate meatballs, peppers and onion wedges. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
- Grill 10-12 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear, turning occasionally. Brush with reserved glaze during the last 2 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Surprise Meatball Skewers
Sort By :
"I made these last night and we liked the meatballs, but not the glaze. Loved the idea of putting cheese in the middle and think next time I make spaghetti and meatballs will do just what you have done here with a square of mozzarella cheese."