These cupcakes are easy to whip up and everyone thinks you've slaved for hours because of the "secret" creamy filling inside. They're great for picnics and lunch boxes.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Dash salt
- Chocolate frosting, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, oil, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In another large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and salt until smooth. Drop a teaspoonful of filling into each cupcake.
- Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Pipe frosting on cupcakes if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Surprise-Inside Cupcakes in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p5
Reviews for Surprise-Inside Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review