Surprise Cupcakes Recipe
Edith Holliday shares the secret behind her cute cupcakes. "My mother taught me this simple way to fill cupcakes with fruit jelly," shares the Flushing, Michigan baker. Take these tender treats to your next get-together and watch faces light up after just one bite.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup strawberry or grape jelly
- Frosting of your choice
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Fill 36 paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop jelly by teaspoonfuls into the center of each.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes; decorate with sprinkles if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 164 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Surprise Cupcakes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC