Edith Holliday shares the secret behind her cute cupcakes. "My mother taught me this simple way to fill cupcakes with fruit jelly," shares the Flushing, Michigan baker. Take these tender treats to your next get-together and watch faces light up after just one bite.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup strawberry or grape jelly
- Frosting of your choice
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill 36 paper-lined muffin cups half full. Drop jelly by teaspoonfuls into the center of each.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes; decorate with sprinkles if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Surprise Cupcakes in Quick Cooking March/April 2002, p15
Reviews for Surprise Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 23, 2010
"A nice surprise for a cupcake. Received smiles and compliments on these."