Cottage cheese is the secret ingredient in these tender, flaky cookies. I'm not sure where the recipe came from. But my grandmother was a baker, so I like to believe it was one of his.
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup finely Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cottage cheese until blended;
- gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours
- or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out
- with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on
- ungreased baking sheets.
- Brush tops with egg. Combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon;
- sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until
- golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 109 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.