Surprise Cookies Recipe
Cottage cheese is the secret ingredient in these tender, flaky cookies. I'm not sure where the recipe came from. But my grandmother was a baker, so I like to believe it was one of his.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:36 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and cottage cheese until blended; gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Brush tops with egg. Combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 109 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC