Cottage cheese is the secret ingredient in these tender, flaky cookies. I'm not sure where the recipe came from. But my grandmother was a baker, so I like to believe it was one of his.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cottage cheese until blended; gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Brush tops with egg. Combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Surprise Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p46
Reviews for Surprise Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review