- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cottage cheese until blended; gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Brush tops with egg. Combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Surprise Cookies
Sort By :
"I'm surprised at the bad reviews this cookie got! I tried it a few days ago for the first time, mostly out of curiosity. The smell while baking was delicious, the topping amount was fine for me (it does a good layer on each cookie, and I didn't add the walnuts) and they have a really nice light delicate flavour. They are not for someone who likes very rich cookies - but I think they're awesome :)"
"Not good at all. I actually feel bad leaving such a bad review. But they didn't taste good nor did they smell good. They only reason I gave it two stars is because I hate to give just one and it sounded different and creative. I read and reread the recipe thinking I did something wrong. But no errors were made. I would not recommend this recipe."
"This is my second try with this recipe.I added 1.5 tsp vanilla and an egg to the dough. Then followed as directed.For the topping, I added 1/4 cup brown sugar.Instead of brushing the egg wash on top, I used a fork and dipped the bottom of the cookie in the egg wash and then laid it in the topping mix, pressing slightly. Then I flipped the cookie over and placed on cookie sheet. I baked for the entire 20 minutes. This gave the cookie a very crispy texture. I love this cookie now !"
"I followed the recipe as directed without any alterations. I found the dough a little too dry and crumbly. Finished cookie was very delicate but lacked flavor. Next time I will use a little less flour or a little more cottage cheese and a splash of vanilla. Although the topping was nice next time I will add a little brown sugar. As is, this cookie will be nice with coffee in the evening."