Surprise Clam Chowder
When family and friends first sampled this stew some 40 years ago, they were pleasantly surprised by the combination of ingredients. Now it's a dish they frequently request.
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 can (7-1/2 ounces) minced clams, undrained
- In a saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and simmer
- for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add ham and clams;
- heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with no-salt-added tomatoes and low-fat ham) equals 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch; also, 135 calories, 694 mg sodium, 35 mg cholesterol, 13 gm carbohydrate, 16 gm protein, 3 gm fat.