"My family loves fresh strawberries, and they often request this easy and delicious cake in the summer, relates Janine Trappe of International Falls, Minnesota.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- In a small bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. In another small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 7-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake. Cut a 3/4-in. slice from top of cake; set aside. Using a sharp knife, carve a tunnel out of cake, leaving a 1-in.-thick wall on all sides; carefully remove cake from tunnel. (Discard cake from tunnel or save for another use.)
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Set aside two-thirds of mixture. Fold remaining cream mixture into the strawberries; spoon into tunnel. Replace cake top. Frost top and sides of cake with reserved cream mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Surprise Cinnamon Chiffon Cake in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005, p 7
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Surprise Cinnamon Chiffon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review