Surprise Chocolate Fudge
This fun novelty recipe uses pinto beans to replace some of the butter typically found in fudge. Walnuts give the soft creamy squares a nice crunch.
-Pattie Ann Forssberg of Logan, Kansas
81 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a microwave-safe dish, mash beans with a fork until smooth; cover
- and microwave for 1-1/2 minutes or until heated through. Add cocoa,
- butter and vanilla. (Mixture will be thick.) Slowly stir in sugar;
- add nuts. Press mixture into a 9-in. square pan coated with cooking
- spray. Cover and refrigerate until firm. Cut into 1-in. pieces.
- Yield: about 3-1/2 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: One piece equals 76 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.