- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 16 uncooked medium shrimp (about 1/2 pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 to 2 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- In a small skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- Meanwhile, make a horizontal cut three-fourths of the way through each steak. Place three shrimp in each pocket. Set aside remaining shrimp and sauce for garnish; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook until meat reaches desired doneness (about 10-13 minutes for medium, 160°), turning once. Top with reserved shrimp and sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Surf N Turf Tenderloin in Country Woman May/June 1998, p27
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Surf 'n' Turf Tenderloin
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 16, 2013
"Great surprise for hubby on valentines day!!!"
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2011
"Made it for New Years Eve and it was a wonderful change."