Surefire Sugar Cookies
"You can invite kids to help make these easy treats," relates Victoria Zmarzley-Hahn of Northhampton, Pennsylvania. "Sometimes I melt white coating instead of chocolate chips because it can be tinted to match the season. And for a shortcut, I purchase sugar cookies from the bakery."
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Colored sprinkles, chopped nuts or flaked coconut
- Slice and bake the sugar cookies according to package directions.
- Cool on wire racks.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and shortening.
- Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until melted; stir until
- smooth. Dip each cookie halfway in melted chocolate. Place on waxed
- paper; immediately sprinkle with colored sprinkles, nuts or coconut.
- Let stand until chocolate is completely set. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 300 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.