Supreme Chocolate Cake Recipe
"This dessert is so quick to make and looks stunning," writes Helene Brule-Besner from Hamilton, Ontario. "My family loves it...and it's popular at church potlucks. Whenever this cake is in the fridge, a big 'mouse' in our house eats the leftovers during the night!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:12-14 servings
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (8 ounces) whipped cream cheese
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherries and fresh mint, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. beat in vanilla.
- 2. In a bowl, whisk cocoa and water until smooth; stir in buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture. Beat until smooth.
- 3. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 4. For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese until light. Add 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar; mix well. Add the vanilla, cream and remaining sugar; beat until frosting reaches desired consistency. Place one cooled cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the frosting. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with maraschino cherries and mint if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 505 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 142 mg cholesterol, 445 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC