"This dessert is so quick to make and looks stunning," writes Helene Brule-Besner from Hamilton, Ontario. "My family loves it...and it's popular at church potlucks. Whenever this cake is in the fridge, a big 'mouse' in our house eats the leftovers during the night!"
Recommended: 18 Easy Overnight Desserts
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (8 ounces) whipped cream cheese
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherries and fresh mint, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. beat in vanilla.
- In a bowl, whisk cocoa and water until smooth; stir in buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese until light. Add 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar; mix well. Add the vanilla, cream and remaining sugar; beat until frosting reaches desired consistency. Place one cooled cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the frosting. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with maraschino cherries and mint if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Supreme Chocolate Cake in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p49
Reviews for Supreme Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2012
"Very dense cake, but the frosting is yummy!"