- 1 cantaloupe half, seeded and peeled
- 7 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup halved green grapes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Cut melon half into 1/2-in. rings. Cut rings with a 1-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter or into 1-in. pieces; place in a bowl. Add spinach, ham, onion and grapes. Chill for at least 2 hours. Place sugar, orange juice, vinegar, onion, orange peel and pepper in a blender; cover and blend until smooth. With blender running, gradually add oil until slightly thickened. Stir in poppy seeds. Cover and chill. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss. Top with pecans. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Superstar Spinach Salad
"This is really wonderful. I never thought that I would like mixing my fruits and vegetables but this is fantastic and easy. I wish cantaloupe was in season all year long."