"Cantaloupe really 'stars' in this delicious salad—especially if you cut pieces into that shape," remarks Kathy Crow of Payson, Arizona.
- 1 cantaloupe half, seeded and peeled
- 7 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup halved green grapes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Cut melon half into 1/2-in. rings. Cut rings with a 1-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter or into 1-in. pieces; place in a bowl. Add spinach, ham, onion and grapes. Chill for at least 2 hours. Place sugar, orange juice, vinegar, onion, orange peel and pepper in a blender; cover and blend until smooth. With blender running, gradually add oil until slightly thickened. Stir in poppy seeds. Cover and chill. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss. Top with pecans. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Superstar Spinach Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p13
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Superstar Spinach Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review