- 6 medium sweet yellow peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Sour cream and minced chives, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the peppers, onion and potato in oil and butter if desired for about 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute or until garlic is tender.
- Stir in the broth, bay leaf, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly; puree in batches in a blender. Return to pan. Stir in buttermilk; heat through. Serve hot or cold; garnish with sour cream and chives if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Superb Yellow Pepper Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p45
Reviews for Superb Yellow Pepper Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2011
"My husband doesn't like peppers, but this sounded so good I thought I would make it. It was so good, and even he liked it! Very pretty too."