- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place the milk, egg, 1 tablespoon butter, sugar, salt, caraway seeds, poppy seeds, onion, sage, nutmeg, flours and yeast in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack. Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Superb Herb Bread
"I finally made this bread after clipping the recipe years ago and I don't know why I waited so long. Not only is this bread delicious, it is actually one of the easiest breads I have ever made. The bread machine does all the kneading and then you let it rise and then bake it and it's done. I thought that I wouldn't like the combination of herbs/spices in this bread, but when baked, they are delicious and not overpowering. Great recipe!!!!"