Caraway, poppy seed, sage and nutmeg give this tender bread its superb flavor. "I received a blue ribbon at our fall festival for this recipe," notes Doris White of De Land, Illinois. "My bread machine makes it convenient to prepare the dough for this loaf—it's light, delicious and the wheat flour makes it extra nutritious."
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place the milk, egg, 1 tablespoon butter, sugar, salt, caraway seeds, poppy seeds, onion, sage, nutmeg, flours and yeast in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack. Melt remaining butter; brush over loaf. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Superb Herb Bread in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p12
Reviews for Superb Herb Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review