Super Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 pounds beef top round steak (about 1 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Remove steak from bag; flatten to 3/4-in. thickness.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown steak on both sides in oil over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, tomato soup, onion, marjoram, thyme, paprika, cloves if desired, bay leaf and remaining salt; pour over beef.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (4 ounces) equals 214 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 522 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.