Here's a hearty handheld meal you can eat on the go or pack for a picnic. Serve this versatile sandwich the way the recipe's written or stuff it with the works. —Maribeth Edwards, Follansbee, West Virginia
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups cubed eggplant
- 1 each medium green, sweet yellow and red peppers, julienned
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- Lettuce leaves
- 1/2 pound sliced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 pound sliced cooked turkey breast
- 1/4 pound sliced hard salami
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, peppers and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add tomato, oregano, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (save removed bread for another use). Layer with lettuce, ham, turkey, salami and cheese; top with vegetable mixture. Replace top. Secure with toothpicks; cut crosswise into six slices. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Super Supper Hero in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p7
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Super Supper Hero
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review