Super Spud Brownies
These moist and cakey brownies came from my mom’s old cookbook. Mashed potatoes may seem like an unusual ingredient, but this recipe took first place at a local festival.Marlene Gerer, Denton, Montana
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, sugars, oil, eggs and
- vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually
- add to potato mixture. Fold in pecans if desired. Transfer to a
- greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with
- confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 brownie (calculated without pecans and confectioners' sugar) equals 150 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium,