These moist and cakey brownies came from my mom’s old cookbook. Mashed potatoes may seem like an unusual ingredient, but this recipe took first place at a local festival.—Marlene Gerer, Denton, Montana
- 3/4 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, sugars, oil, eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to potato mixture. Fold in pecans if desired. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 23-27 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Super Spud Brownies in Country Woman June/July 2011, p48
Reviews for Super Spud Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review