- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-2/3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 8 to 10 hamburger or hoagie buns, split
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Super Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"I tripled everything from the ketchup to the mustard. We all loved it. Much better than canned. It wouldn't have hurt to use more onion and peppers. It looked like it made a huge batch but the four of us scarfed 3/4 of it in one sitting. Awesome recipe!"
"Very disappointed that this did not have more flavor. Even with all the seasonings in it, it still just tastes like hamburger with ketchup on it. Won't make this one again."
"Little bland so I added some chipolte pepper seasoning."
"I remember a similar recipe that I used to serve my family many years ago with garden produce of peppers, celery, tomatoes, tomato juice, onions and garlic...we used to freeze a lot and even canned all the ingredients except the meat, then added fried hamburg to a jar when we wanted sloppy joes, it was delicious."
"This was SOOO good! Everyone loved it and we will never eat Sloppy Joes any other way!"