- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-2/3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 8 to 10 hamburger or hoagie buns, split
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain.
Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun.
Freeze option: Place individual portions cooled meat mixture in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth / water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Super Sloppy Joes
"I made this recipe the other night, and my husband and I both really liked it! There was just a tad too much brown sugar, so I'll cut back on that to 1 tbsp., but I definitely will make this again! This recipe made 6 sandwiches on whole wheat buns. It reminds me of sloppy Joes my mom used to make for us many, many years ago!"
"These. Are. Awesome. Best sloppy joes ever!"
"This is THE BEST Sloppy Joe recipe...do not hesitate, try it...it will become one of your family go to recipes!!!!!"
"These are great! I substituted ground turkey for the beef, and upped the seasonings to my taste. I used finely diced tomatoes rather than the crushed. Don't tell Mr. Finicky, but I also added some finely-shredded carrots. Very good recipe, with a bit of tinkering."
"Too bland for us."