Super Short Ribs Recipe
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add ribs and bay leaf. Combine the beer, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, thyme, bouillon, salt and pepper. Pour over meat.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- 4. Combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
7 ounces cooked ribs with 1/3 cup gravy (calculated without noodles) equals 265 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 819 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.