This came from an old oven recipe my mom had for short ribs. I added a few things, and these are always requested. —Coleen Carter, Malone, New York
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add ribs and bay leaf. Combine the beer, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, thyme, bouillon, salt and pepper. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Super Short Ribs in Simple & Delicious March/April 2010, p19
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Super Short Ribs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review