- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add ribs and bay leaf. Combine the beer, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, thyme, bouillon, salt and pepper. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with meat and noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Super Short Ribs
Sort By :
Very yummy! I substituted beef broth for the beer and I braised them in the oven for 2 hours instead of cooking in the slow cooker - the sauce cooked down so it wasn't necessary to thicken it at the end. Loved the sauce. Definitely a keeper!
My entire family, including two picky kids, really enjoyed this meal. They voted it a "keeper" and have already asked for it again. Yummy and super simple - great combination.
This was so flavorful. I added some minced garlic like one review said.
It tasted like beef roast with carrots mfrom the oven. Nothing outstanding. Lacked umph!
Short ribs done in a crock pot is so delicious. One of my favorite dinners.