Super Low-Fat Granola Cereal Recipe
Serve this delicious mix for breakfast with milk, or sprinkle it over yogurt. You can add chopped walnuts or pecans, but it will increase the calorie count. —Kelly Kirby, Westville, Nova Scotia
- 8 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2% milk or reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, raisins, apricots and cranberries; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until brown sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in maple flavoring and vanilla. Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat.
- 2. Transfer to two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until crisp, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Serve with milk or yogurt. Yield: 9 cups.
1/2 cup (calculated without milk) equals 246 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC