Super Italian Sub Recipe
"I like recipes like this flavorful sandwich that can be made ahead because they let me relax with family and friends after a busy day as a teacher," relates Patricia Lomp of Middleboro, Massachusetts. "Just unwrap, slice and enjoy."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:10-12 servings
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cooked turkey
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced into rings
- 1. Cut bread in half lengthwise; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano and pepper; brush on cut sides of bread top and bottom. On the bottom half, layer half of the meats, cheeses and green pepper. Repeat layers. Replace bread top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 309 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 701 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC