Super Italian Sub
"I like recipes like this flavorful sandwich that can be made ahead because they let me relax with family and friends after a busy day as a teacher," relates Patricia Lomp of Middleboro, Massachusetts. "Just unwrap, slice and enjoy."
10-12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cooked turkey
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced into rings
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a
- 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano and
- pepper; brush on cut sides of bread top and bottom. On the bottom
- half, layer half of the meats, cheeses and green pepper. Repeat
- layers. Replace bread top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate
- for up to 24 hours. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 309 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 701 mg sodium,