- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced cooked turkey
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced into rings
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano and pepper; brush on cut sides of bread top and bottom. On the bottom half, layer half of the meats, cheeses and green pepper. Repeat layers. Replace bread top. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Super Italian Sub
Sort By :
"Have been making this since it first appeared in Quick Cooking (over 15 years ago!). Before I retired, it was the most requested potluck dish for the office. The only change I make is to use a red or orange pepper and depending on my guests, I may use fewer cloves of garlic."
"This is a great recipe! I have made it as written and also made it with what I have on hand. It is always a hit. Served cold or served warm from the oven, it is a keeper recipe!"
"I have made this recipe for a family Christmas party for the last two years. I have doubled the recipe for the large family, and I have come home with an empty platter each time. Just a couple of notes, though. 1.) We use colby jack cheese that we know everyone loves. 2.) I put 2 to 4 tbsp. of Parmesan cheese in the oil mixture. 3.) We put the green pepper on the side, since not everyone likes green pepper. Otherwise, very good for a big family party."
"I like to wrap this sandwich in foil and bake at 375* for about 20 minutes. It's nice and crispy and the filling is warm. So good."