- 3 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 5 slices deli ham, chopped
- 5 thin slices hard salami, chopped
- 5 slices pepperoni, chopped
- 3 slices provolone cheese, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pepperoncini, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with pepperoncini, if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Super Italian Chopped Salad
"This is the best ever salad. With each bite chucked full of Italian goodness."
"My husband loves this. Never knew he was such a fan of garbanzo beans. I added some garlic to the dressing and substitutes Swiss for the Provolone."
"My son wanted a pizza party for his birthday and I made this salad to go on the side for the adults. So so good. Many compliments, many recipe requests, salad bowl was licked clean. Only difference, instead of mixing dressing ingredients I just used kraft Tuscan House Italian dressing. I measured it out according to ingredients in this recipe and just added a tad more after mixing. Everything else stayed the same."
"Made this for super bowl party. Delicious combination of goodness. Try it!??"
"I've been making something similar, but never thought of the garbanzo beans. Sounds really good. I might toast them a bit first, plus I used shaved Parmesan. If you wanted to cut the calories down, use plain artichokes instead of marinated and use turkey ham, salami and pastrami. I do use plain artichokes and also add chopped hearts of palm. Always serve with a variety of dressings and croutons on the side if desired. Made this many times for around 20-30 people at a buffet dinner. Always eaten up."
"Delicious. I will definitely make this again. I left out the artichokes and olives, because we don't care for either. I'm not a fan of heavy dressings, so this was perfect."
"I really liked this salad and so did the rest of the family. The best part was all of the meat involved. The dressing was a bit bland, but was still light and good. I will be using a different dressing the next time I make it."
"Great salad! Lots of goodies in it and the dressing was perfect for it."
"I'm not a fan of Italian dressing, but this salad and the dressing is excellent!"