Super-Duper Tuna Sandwiches
If packing this fantastic sandwich for a brown-bag lunch, keep the bread separate from the salad so it doesn’t get soggy. You can also try serving the tuna salad with crackers, as a wrap or on lettuce. Nae Bartolomeo - Indianola, IA
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/3 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/3 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 1/3 cup finely shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Spread 1/2 cup
- tuna mixture over four slices of bread; top with remaining bread
- slices. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 291 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 717 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.