Sunshine State Orange Bread Recipe
This pretty glazed loaf is bursting with fresh citrus flavor. Walnuts add a subtle nuttiness and yummy texture to the moist slices. It's one recipe you can serve year after year, and never tire of it. —Mrs. MRS PRISCILLA Gilbert, IND HBR BCH, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, orange peel, baking powder and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk water, orange juice, egg, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients. Drizzle over bread. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC