Sunshine Sherbet Recipe
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 8 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, water and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in the cream, orange juice, evaporated milk, lemon juice, orange peel and food coloring if desired. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze until firm. Yield: about 2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 260 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Sunshine Sherbet
"Love the sweetness of fruit in ice cream! BTW, the other person submitting a review was wrong: sherbet is basically like ice cream but uses fruit juices, sometimes sweetened, as the flavor base. Sorbet and gelato do not contain dairy products!"
"In case yiou don't know,sherbet does not have heavy cream in it,just milk,sugar and fruit juice. it shouild not be called sherbet."