Sunshine Sherbet Recipe
Meet the Cook: Together, my mother and I "invented" this recipe. Warm, humid evenings in Georgia, where I grew up, were all the inspiration we needed! It became a favorite part of gatherings with family and friends. After I got married, my boys and their pals would all be there when the sherbet left the freezer. My husband and I have six children, 31 and 13, and four grandchildren. -Barbara Looney, Fort Knox, Kentucky
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 8 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the milk, water and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in the cream, orange juice, evaporated milk, lemon juice, orange peel and food coloring if desired. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze until firm. Yield: about 2 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 260 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC