Sunshine Orange Meringue Pie Recipe
I found this recipe while vacationing in Florida in the late '60s. I made a few changes and added lime juice for extra tartness. It's colorful, refreshing and looks so pretty on the plate. -June Nehmer, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 24 squares)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Whisk in orange juice and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the lime juice, orange peel and butter. Pour hot filling into pie crust.
- 3. For the meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl until foamy. add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 363 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC