Sunshine Gelatin Salad Recipe
In Hatley, Wisconsin, Sharon Kriesel offers this festive gelatin salad with a delightful creamy topping and plenty of fruit and marshmallows.
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free orange gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 3 medium firm bananas, chopped
- 1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups whipped topping
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve lemon and orange gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water. Cover and refrigerate until partially set, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup.
- 3. Fold the bananas, marshmallows and pineapple into gelatin mixture. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine sugar substitute and flour. Gradually stir in pineapple juice mixture. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 5. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted.
- 6. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over gelatin. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 109 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC