In Hatley, Wisconsin, Sharon Kriesel offers this festive gelatin salad with a delightful creamy topping and plenty of fruit and marshmallows.
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free orange gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 3 medium firm bananas, chopped
- 1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups whipped topping
- In a large bowl, dissolve lemon and orange gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water. Cover and refrigerate until partially set, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup.
- Fold the bananas, marshmallows and pineapple into gelatin mixture. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar substitute and flour. Gradually stir in pineapple juice mixture. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted.
- Cool to room temperature without stirring. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over gelatin. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sunshine Gelatin Salad in Light & Tasty October 2005, p65
Reviews for Sunshine Gelatin Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 5, 2013
"Tasty treat for the summertime. Very simple to make and the toping is a nice change of pace from just whipped topping."