- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- In a bowl, combine flour cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead for about 1 minute. Pat or roll out to 3/4-in, thickness; cut with a 3-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Sunshine Biscuits in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p68
Reviews for Sunshine Biscuits(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2011
I used this recipe as my first attempt at baking biscuits. They turned out great. I used whole wheat flour instead of all purpose.